Friday, April 23, 2010

Five months on, still no justice

"Thank you, Acting Justice Secretary Alberto Agra, for assuring the Filipino nation that justice can never be achieved,"said the National Union of Journalist in the Philippines. On March march 17, 2010, Agra told the prosecutors to drop the murder charges against two prominent members of a powerful Muslim clan over the massacre of 57 people on November 23 last year in Maguindanao. Agra stressed "Zaldy and Akmad Ampatuan, initially alleged to be two of the key planners of the election-linked killings in the restive south, will be dropped from the list of those accused." The decision provoked outrage among the relatives' victims.
Five months after, still no justice. In an interview, the widow of victims expressed dismay to what they call a clear manifestation of white wash. Alliance Against Impunity movement in Davao believe that Malacanang has a hand over the matter. This afternoon, members of BAYAN and Alliance Against Impunity movement staged a protest rally in front of the Ampatuan mansion to show the government the need to resolve the case as soon as possible.

No comments: